We’ve all done it at one time or another…..gone out without sunscreen or just stayed too long in the sun, and the result is a sunburn that can ruin your fun! Here are some tips to help you deal with the pain and heal quickly.
- Your first priority is to cool off…so get out of the sun and into a cool bath or shower. It may sound like common sense, but many jump into a warm shower and Ouch! Don’t use soap or bodywash for the first day either as it can irritate your already overly sensitive skin.
- Adding a little milk &/or oatmeal (about 1 cup) to a cool bath will help with inflammation and pain.
- Cold compresses, especially on your face, and a spritz bottle with ice water to keep your skin cool and hydrated, will help, but better yet is to fill tha spritz bottle with iced tea! The tannins in the tea will help alleviate pain.
- The age old remedy, Aloe, is still number one for sunburn and can also help prevent peeling.
- Stay hydrated…sunburn is dehydrating so drink lots of water!
- Be very careful to avoid much sun for at least a day or two. You can get a burn on top of a burn and end up needing a doctor!
- Here is one other good tip for sunburn relief. Soak a T-shirt in cool water, wring it out, and wear it or place it on the sunburned area. It’s quick, easy, and effective!
While you are nursing your sunburn, you might want to use the time for some indoor activities like shopping, or perusing the variety of art galleries here on the North Shore! Of course, you can still enjoy an evening of fine dining at one of the many great restaurants you will find listed in our Seek Spot by Be Our Guest Directory. Take care in the sun, but if you do get burned we hope these tips will help.