Many of us make promises or resolutions that in the New Year we will do things differently. We will make better choices, take better care of ourselves, and be a better, healthier, more fit person. Yet these good intentions often fall quickly by the wayside because, to be honest, change is hard! We need to accept that lofty goals are admirable but making resolutions we can more easily achieve will, like steps on a ladder, help us to reach those higher goals.
Some of the most common resolutions are to eat healthier, exercise more, lose weight, and “get in shape”. Here are a few realistic resolutions to try…
- Get Active…30 minutes a day is the recommendation, and here on Oahu there are so many fun ways to stay active! Find what you like, whether a daily walk or jog on one of our many beautiful beaches, a swim, or maybe something new like yoga. There are many options, but it is only going to happen if you like what you do!
- Stay hydrated!…. Our warm climate means you need to drink more water. Water helps your body function more efficiently too!
- Decrease the portions on your plate, but increase the ratio of fruits and veggies …. We are blessed because our choices of fresh fruits and veggies are almost limitless here in Hawaii! Having some of these choices readily available when you get hungry makes it easier to eat healthy, so look for a farmer’s market near you and stock up!
- Get your zzzz’s…..sleep is when your body re-energizes and repairs! If you are near the ocean, open those windows and let the sea breeze and ocean surf lull you to sleep! If you are only visiting, there are some wonderful cd’s with that ocean background that will remind you of our Hawaiian nights.
- Slather on the sunscreen and wear those sunglasses….we love the sun but the sun doesn’t love us, and it can cause real harm to your skin!
- Be KIND to yourself….surprised you with that one huh? The truth is, we all need to remember that no one will keep a resolution if it feels like a punishment! Give yourself rewards for accomplishments, like a pampering massage, a manicure or pedicure, or a night out in Honolulu!
- Most importantly, you have to Believe to Achieve! If you already think you can’t before you even start, then odds are you probably won’t!
These suggestions are just a place to start. In the Services section of each region in the Seek Spot Directory you will find a number of businesses that specialize in Health and Wellness and can offer you the individualized help and advice you need to keep you headed in the right direction. Make your resolutions a reality and become your healthy best in the New Year!